Sunday, November 21, 2010

Grief - A Poem that Resonates


I had my own notion of grief.
I thought it was the sad time
That followed the death of someone you love.
And you had to push through it
To get to the other side.
But I'm learning there is no other side.
There is no pushing through.
But rather,
There is absorption.
Adjustment.
Acceptance.
And grief is not something you complete,
But rather, you endure.
Grief is not a task to finish
And move on,
But an element of yourself-
An alteration of your being.
A new way of seeing.
A new definition of self.

~ Gwen Flowers ~

I want to add to this, that Grief not only applies to the loss of a Loved one. It includes all losses. Some are easier to adjust to than others. I certainly know that regardless of how devastating I view my own, they are nothing in comparison to what others suffer.

I am reminded of all the young men and women who return from wars with major injuries, whether mental or physical (the physical are easier to recognize) but especially for those who have suffered major burns to their faces and have lost all resemblance to the person who once looked back at them in the mirror.

My empathy has always been focused towards burn victims. If you can't recognize yourself when looking in a mirror then how and by what means do you identify yourself? And how do others? It's the most horrifying injury in my opinion. Yet some have managed and become very inspirational beings. That requires far more courage than I have and I know I have a lot. I expect the human spirit is the strongest force of all. Provided there is a great deal of support and love. Without that, I expect most would opt out. Why I am sometimes tempted to.

~ Tutte ~