Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hypersensitivity


I always wondered why I am so oversensitive to all my senses and discovered a definition tonight. This was brought on by a flood of memories that surfaced by a whiff of air coming in my windows on a cool summer night.

"Being hypersensitive could be described as being allergic to life. For the highly sensitive person (HSP) a seemingly ordinary day can be overwhelming. Even the most subtle of stimulants a person encounters on a daily basis can be over-stimulating. Energies associated with touch, noise, scent, light, etc. are often too quickly or deeply absorbed by the HSP. As a result, the HSP may become emotionally upset, and/or physically uncomfortable. Hypersensitivity is also associated with a heightened sense of awareness and intuition. This makes being a HSP or empathatic a two-way street."

It was a relief to know that there is some explanation however it doesn't provide me with any relief. I used to think this was a huge asset and a gift to my life but now it has become a burden. It does explain why I am so miserable with my mouth in general and having lost the ability to enjoy food. That's really my biggest burden today. Whatever problems we have with our mouth are ever present.

No doubt, why I find the spring and summer months so stressful as they bring up far more stimulations for me. Loved that in the past but now I can't deal with it.

~ Tutte ~